The East West runway looking west
50yd wide by 1450yds long .
All that remains is this thin track . There were three Tarmac
covered runways .
Charmy Down was opened in November 1940 and used mostly as a day
& night fighter fighter base to cover the Bath, Bristol area. The
first unit to arrive were a Hurricane flight from 87Sqdn from RAF